Friday, August 26, 2005

Blog Roundtable (6)?

What criteria do you use to determine if a team and its players are good? I use a combination of four factors to determine how good a team is or may be(preseason). The four factors are talent, coaching, experience, and intangibles. Talent as a factor is a no brainer. In head to head match ups who has more talent and depth. Team speed, height, and size mismatches are big factors. Coaching is very important. All the talent in the world is useless, unless there is good coaching to guide it. Is the the coach a good gameday coach or just a good practice coach and game preparer? Does he make adjustments during games? If a team has good junior or senior leadership, in theory, they will make very few mistakes. Experience players make better game decisions and are more poised. Intangibles are a huge key for me. Football is more mental than physical. Some teams just have intangibles that make them a better "team". If I could explain them than they wouldn't be intangibles.

If you could choose one coach to build an offensive system for your school, who would it be? conversely, who would you choose to devise the defense? Why? Jeff Tedford is the best offensive mind in college football. He has turned three different programs into offensive juggernauts, all leading with the run. His quarterbacks get majority of the credit, but Tedford's innovative pro-style offense is nothing without a great running game. Fresno State, Oregon, and Cal have all set various school records under his guidance. Conversely, on defense it is Bob Stoops. I loved his defense at Kansas State in the early 90's and Florida did not win a national title until Spurrier hired Stoops away from K State. His Oklahoma defenses have been suspect against the pass recently, but there has been no better defensive mind in college football in the last 15 years.

Describe your typical college football Saturday. I am a homebody, unless I am going to a game. Regardless, I start my Saturday the same. Since Fresno State plays a lot of weekday games, or 10pm ET kickoffs, I get to watch a lot football during throughout the day. I'm up at 7am PT, me and my seven year old son makes some pancakes and watch ESPN Gameday. Flip through the 9am games, and prepare for the rest of the day. If I am making the couch my home for the day, I' ll start the home tailgate. Get the grill started and have all four TV's going, kitchen, patio, and two in the living room, not to mention the laptop. Usually, 12:30pt game is the one of the better games, I will follow that up with the ESPN prime time game, and finish with the late night FSN or TBS game. I will fill in the Fresno State game if its a weekend road game, wherever. If I going to the game, I am out the door soon after the 9am is over. I head over to the sports bar, grab some lunch and catch the the 12:30pt game. I head over to the stadium soon after to tailgate. After the game, I'll catch the Hawaii game on the tube, plus all the highlights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home