Week 8 Picks
Biggest Games(ranked by significance)
1. Texas Tech at Texas- Lets be serious, here! Does anyone actually think the Red Raiders can beat Texas. I could see a possible upset if the game was in Lubbock, but not in Austin. Texas Tech needs to be able to run the ball to beat Texas, something they do not do well.
The Texas defense will dictate the game. Cody Hodges will get hit more against Texas than the previous six games he has played combined. Granted, if the Tech offensive line plays their best game of their careers, and give Hodges time to throw, the game could become interesting.
Texas Tech should have lost at Nebraska, and had a difficult time at home against Kansas. Texas rolls to an easy win. Texas 34, Texas Tech 17.
2. Tennessee at Alabama- All signs point to a Tennessee upset. The Vols looked awful against Georgia, but should rebound this week. Alabama failed to show up last week at Ole Miss, and can not afford to be lackadaisical this week.
Tennessee's chance at an SEC title is all but done, yet big wins against Alabama and Notre Dame on the road could go along way in erasing a disappointing season. I like Tennessee to outplay the Tide and come close to a win, but Tuscaloosa will be too much too overcome. Alabama 16, Tennessee 13.
3. Auburn at LSU- Tiger clash at Death Valley in the evening on ESPN HD. Does it get any better? Auburn has been off the radar screen since the opening loss to Georgia Tech, but have the best shot of all the one loss teams to reach the Rose Bowl.
LSU has steadily risen in the polls, despite less than stellar performances on the field. Coach Les Miles can not afford another home conference loss. Auburn on the other hand, is undefeated in conference play, and host Alabama at the end of the season. Auburn could afford a loss Saturday and still climb back into the SEC title game, but LSU's back is against the wall.
I can see Auburn easily winning this game, but Death Valley is a tough place to play. Home field advantage will be the deciding factor. LSU 27, Auburn 24.
4. Oregon State at UCLA- The Bruins are back in the top ten for the first time since 2001. Karl Dorrell is fighting for his head coaching job this year, and it shows. The Bruins are national title contenders, and finally can be mentioned in the same sentence with their cross town rival.
UCLA's offense is one of the best in the country, but the defense needs major help. UCLA has needed 4th quarter comebacks in the last three games, but that trend needs to stop. Oregon State is the hottest team in the Pac 10, after coming from behind to beat Washington State and winning at Cal in consecutive weeks. UCLA needs to be on upset alert, OSU can beat the Bruins in the Rose Bowl. UCLA 31, Oregon State 30.
5. Northwestern at Michigan State- If you have the chance to watch this game, by no means, do not miss it. This will be a high scoring game with two teams going in different directions.
Michigan State needs to rebound after losses to Michigan and Ohio State. Meanwhile, Northwestern is on a two game winning streak over Wisconsin and Purdue.
Michigan State should win this shootout, and still have an outside shot to share the Big Ten crown. Michigan State 49, Northwestern 38.
6. Michigan at Iowa- The two preseason top ten teams find themselves outside the top 25 to start the second half of the season. Michigan is has lost three games by a combined 13 points, and have wins over then top ten teams Michigan State and Penn State. Iowa is on a roll after early season blow out losses to Iowa State and Ohio State.
The loser of this game might be stuck playing in the Motor City bowl in December. The winner has a good chance to be in Florida in January. Iowa has more at stake, the Hawkeyes are still in the Big Ten race with only one conference loss. Iowa 31, Michigan 26.
3 Potential Upsets........
What will happen- Vanderbilt beat South Carolina- Everyone has jumped off the Vandy bandwagon after they have suffered three straight losses. The Commodores still have a shot at a bowl, but they must beat Spurrier and the Gamecocks.
What might happen- San Jose State over Hawaii- Both of these teams are equally challenged or just plain bad. The Warriors are extremely vulnerable away from the Island.
What is unlikely to happen- Cincinnati upsets Louisville- The Cards need to shake off last week's triple OT loss or could lose their third conference game.
Betting Man? Surefire Picks!
note: last week UCLA let me down and UCF just stunk. SJSU came through at Boise State, and I will go against the Broncos, again, this week.
Virginia(PK) at North Carolina- Virginia is the better team, they can not afford mental mistakes on the road.
Missouri(-1) vs Nebraska- Missouri might not win enough to get to a bowl, but the Tigers got the Huskers number.
Utah State(+18.5) vs Boise State- Utah State could pull the biggest upset in the WAC since Boise State beat #8 Fresno State in 2001.
all my other picks at D1AFootball.com